One of the world's oldest cities, dominated by 5th-century BC landmarks, including the Acropolis and the Parthenon temple, Athens is the capital and the largest city of Greece. Athens was the host city of the first modern-day Olympic Games in 1896, and 108 years later it welcomed home the 2004 Summer Olympics.
The Small List
- Grande Bretagne Hotel - The Grande Dame in the heart of the city, built in 1874 with eternal elegance and grace, this landmark hotel offers breathtaking views of the fabled Acropolis with its unrivaled restaurants and bars. grandebretagne.gr
- Brettos - At the oldest distillery in Athens, the first thing you notice is the beautiful décor of brilliantly colored bottles lit from behind that fill the entire back wall floor to ceiling, providing a colour spectrum in contrast to the 200 year old building. A flight of Ouzo awaits! brettosplaka.com
- Fisherman's Tavern - The oldest restaurant in the Plaka, Fisherman's Tavern offers authentic Greek cuisine with the highest quality ingredients and service. psaras-taverna.gr
- Cookoovaya - With an open kitchen for all to see, five chefs are your hosts who ensure that each and every experience is unforgettable. It’s not simply a meal, it’s hospitality through an incredible meal. Delicious food, prepared with expertise, passion and experience. cookoovaya.gr
- Diporto - Greek for “two doors,” is a reference to the two entrances on the fringe of the Athens Central Market leading down into the taverna which has been in business since 1887 with no sign and no menu. Mitso cooks very simple, very traditional homestyle Greek cuisine and he will let you know what dishes are available that day. Best for lunch. Phone: +30 21 0321 1463