Mansfield, The Fun Center of Ohio
Traveling through Twin Lakes Village (perhaps one of the best kept secrets in Colorado) between Aspen and Denver over Independence Pass to reach our reunion destination in Ohio, we stopped for a relaxing and scrumptious lunch on the sunporch at the Twin Lakes Inn, who has been serving guests since 1879.
We arrived in the heart of Mid-Ohio, at the Wishmaker House Bed and Breakfast, voted "Best B&B in Ohio", featuring award winning wines and a cozy ambience.
Skiing got its start in Ohio in 1961 when Snow Trails opened in Mansfield to enthusiastic skiers with a vertical drop of 300 ft. As Ohio's first commercial ski resort, Snow Trails had a long list of firsts:
- First Ski School
- First Ski Patrol
- First Ski Shop
- First Alpine Racing
- First Chair List...just to name a few.
Built in 1926, Kingwood Center Gardens in Mansfield, Ohio is the 47 acre former estate of Charles Kelley King, electrical engineer, President and CEO of Ohio Brass and has been opened to the public since 1953.
The Malabar Farm in Perrysville, Ohio, former home of Pulitzer Prize winning author, farmer, conservationist and host of Hollywood stars, Louis Bromfield, was once "America's most famous farm" as an early proponent on organic farming, sustainable agriculture and soil and water conservation. In May 1945, it was also the setting for the wedding and honeymoon of Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall and a host of celebrities such as James Cagney, Clark Gable and Errol Flynn. Today, the restaurant dishes up seasonal menus featuring farm fresh local fare.
A vibrant and thriving parish developed in 1844 and built in 1911, St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church and St. Peter's School have had a significant and lasting impact on the local community in Mansfield, Ohio.
The Small List
- Wishmaker House Bed & Breakfast - Wishmaker House Bed and Breakfast is a fully renovated 10,000 square foot 1890s home located in picturesque Bellville, Ohio. wishmakerhouse.com
- Snow Trails - A winter resort in Mansfield, Ohio, dedicated to outdoor family fun with Skiing, Snowboarding, and Snow Tubing December through March. Over fifty years of exciting wintertime fun, memories, and action sports events!! snowtrails.com
- Kingwood Center Gardens - The garden beds are planted and replanted with the seasons. The tulips are the best known seasonal display and each tulip bed is followed by annuals. Some of the best seasonal gardens are part of our grand spring flower display which includes magnolias, daffodils, crocus, redbuds, dogwoods, silverbells, and many more spring flowers. kingwoodcenter.org
- Malabar Farm - Historic Landmark since 1939. malabarfarm.org
- Mansfield St. Peter’s - Providing spiritual development, education and enrichment for our entire community. parish.mansfieldstpeters.org